1/03/2010

Philosophy of Life: Love It

I do not like New Year's Resolutions. New Year's Resolutions are fun and quirky, and sometimes good for your health if you are truly determined, but to cry and agonize over them? Love your life now - you are alive!

I am grateful for my life as soon as I wake up. Too many people assume they have tomorrow. But really, even if you are safe at home, going to bed - you might not wake up. Life is a gift everyday.

Now, a lot of people might agree with that - that death is inevitable and unpredictable. But those who really think that may also believe in seizing the day - Carpe Diem! I do not.

If someone, an angel or dream or whatever, came to you and told you the exact date of your death, would you "seize the day"? What would you do if you had a year left, or six months, or one hour? How is any of that important than just continuing what you doing (assuming you're not a drug dealer or something). Love your spouse. Love your kids. But also, love everything about your life.

There is a quote (from a man I don't really like but the quote is good) from Frederich Nietzsche that reads: That one wants nothing to be different, not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not merely bear what is necessary....but love it.

I love my life, and in the end, I know that all of this does not matter. What matters is love. And I live everyday with love first. If my son wants a cookie for breakfast, I might give it to him. If he suddenly dies because he had an undiagnosed heart failure, was the fight important? He could die in a freak accident, or we could just be in the wrong place at the wrong time...I would want to know that I loved him and showed him love everyday.

I have complaints and moments of discontent, and we all do, but we shouldn't want to change or have regrets. We dwell on them and they consume us, and pretty soon, we take life for granted - everything happening right in front of you is your life. We should live our lives just realizing if we had to live it over again, we would because it was our life!

We don't control life. I hate it when people say I'm in control this and that. Having control does not make you happy. Loving the chaos that life is, that's happiness.

Is saying I could die at any moment, this way of thinking, morbid? I don't think so. I'm hopeful. I have dreams. I believe in miracles. I just love life. I wouldn't change anything about my life.

1 comment:

  1. It's an admirable thing to want to squeeze good out of every day. Something more people should do.

    ReplyDelete