3/11/2010

Temple Grandin and Autism: The World Needs All Kind of Minds

Temple Grandin, a professor at Colorado State University with a Ph.D. in Animal Science, was recently interviewed and featured on CNN.com. She is an accomplished author, sought after public speaker, and well-respected consultant of animal behavior.

She has autism.

She is amazing in so many ways and when you slap that on, wow - you feel like autism is not this zero-chance for accomplishment diagnosis. She is hope for parents of children with autism and inspiration for those with autism.



The things I really would like to happen with our schools?

1. Teachers - We (teachers - I have a degree in English and am certified to teach) complain all the time that sometimes our brightest kids do not do well on standardized tests.  All of our teachers are expected to pass tests as well = we may be missing out on the brightest teachers! Some reform on testing should happen so that more people, people who have experience, knowledge, etc are in our schools!

2. National Curriculum - I firmly believe in a national curriculum. Students with autism who move will have a better chance of success if they move to another school and basically know what to expect.

3. Methodology & Testing - Standardized testing is just not the way to pressure our schools. Teachers begin frantically teaching to the test to save funding. And the test is not disability friendly.

I was the ideal student - never had any trouble, got good grades and graduated. Most of my ideas come from my husband, who tells me what he learned from when he struggled or someone he taught was struggling. I plan on homeschooling my kids and it'll be my first experience with that - so far, it has been like trying on several pairs of shoes looking for the right one...wish me luck!

Love, Amanda & Cubs

2 comments:

  1. I was a good student with good grades and generally never had any problems (except for math. But that subject doesn't count! haha). But standardized tests are difficult, for anybody. The wording is always awkward, and no matter how well you know the material (or perhaps don't know the material?), there always seems to be more than one correct answer, or NO correct answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - I taught test taking strategies before in school and it was pretty geared for the state tests the kids had to take and I felt like all I was teaching them was tricks - tricks for answering the questions, bc they are hard tests! I hated it and when I actually administered the tests, I just felt bad for them - I remember hating them. It's just not an ideal system...

    ReplyDelete