9/27/2010

Making a Relationship Last: A Love Journal

My husband is a romantic guy, though I'm sure he wouldn't like everyone to know that. We've celebrated every year for the past ten years the day he asked me to be his girlfriend. He holds it more dear than our wedding day. It's sweet and he remembers when it is and how soon it's coming up better than I do!

He says that our love blossomed in those days. In the first couple months, that's when real love grows. And the wedding is the public celebration, not nearly as intimate as the details of "the beginning."

I love this CNN story on the 'Original Grandparents' and their 72-year (now 73!) marriage. Their beginning sounds so much like ours. He bought a ring and swore one day he'd buy me an expensive one. It was all so very high school student hopeful, excited, bright, etc. If you check out www.the-ogs.com, it's really very cute, their story and tips.

One thing we used to do is keep a love journal, and I think it was what brought us closer together during some difficult times. All couples struggle with keeping up communication and our love journal was one place we could write what we were feeling positively. If we had a happy moment with each other, a discovery about the other, or just a 'wow, I love you' moment, we'd jot it down and put it away. It was sweet because the next time I'd go into write something, I'd read his last entry and just beam the biggest smile.

We lost our love journal in our move back from Belgium but we haven't needed it as of late. It would have been nice to treasure, but now we keep baby journals of our parenting moments.

We've only been married six years, but I am so hopeful to make it to 73 years like the ogs!

Love, Amanda and Cubs

1 comment:

  1. That is very cool. I've never heard of a love journal. Great idea! Congrats on the pregnancy to you too!

    ReplyDelete